Malinda Williams, a compelling and amazingly talented actress/producer who’s played in some of our most beloved shows/films like Soul Food: The Series, A Thin Line Between Love & Hate, and The Wood! Tariq Walker, an award-winning journalist and successful media executive who’s made powerful waves in the digital media world. Together they have launched This Is Leaving, a Travel & Lifestyle Blog Site/Business that allows us to see beautiful scenic views and adventures, intertwined with love through their lenses. Recently, they allowed me to interview them. Here’s what the recently engaged couple had to say:
1. Where are you both from?
Malinda: New Jersey
2. Can we talk about your successful careers for a moment? Malinda, How did you get into acting and Have you always had a passion for it?
Malinda: I started acting when I was around 12. I started in television commercials and then transitioned to film and T.V. in my teens.
Tariq, what made you want to become a journalist and work in digital media? Is it something you’ve always dreamed of doing?
Tariq: I was drawn to journalism because of my love of writing and communicating ideas via the written word. My career in digital media began as a combination of my passion for writing and science fiction, combined with the growth and development of the internet. It seemed a perfect fit.
3. Can you tell us about your Travel and Lifestyle Blog Site/Business, This is Leaving and How it all came about?
This Is Leaving was an idea conceived from our love of travel and wanting to share our adventures and its benefits with our family and friends. We realized the impact on them, we decided we wanted to share that with a larger audience. We’ve since expanded it to include content production and our first e-commerce platform, Shopshesgotahabit.com
4. What place have you had your most memorable experience thus far and Why?
Our most memorable experience was probably the trip we took to Barcelona.
Malinda: For me, it was a way to connect with Tariq. He spoke the language fluently and I didn’t so I really had to rely on him for communication and getting around. I felt I was vulnerable and that helped build a trust between us.
Tariq: For me, It was our first trip to Europe together and she trusted me enough to let me to do all the planning which was meaningful. It showed she trusted in my abilities and that it laid an important foundation for our relationship.
5. What’s the most delicious food you’ve eaten thus far? Where and What was it? Tuscany and Monterosso, Italy. In Tuscany, we were blessed to have a private cooking lesson with the executive chef. We helped him prepare a tasty red shrimp risotto and strawberry tiramisu – ridiculously delicious!!!
6. Why is traveling so important? What are some benefits of traveling?
We get to have all of these great experiences…we learn about ourselves, about the world and about each other and we get to bring all the best parts of those learned experiences home.
7. What advice would you give to someone out there, who might be hesitant when it comes to traveling to new, and very different places?
We always say let love drive you, not fear, hesitation, doubt or the unknown. You’d be surprised how the world opens up to you, when you open up to it. There’s so much out there waiting for you to discover it. It’s amazing!
8. Any new projects coming up that you’re working on and can tell us about?
We just launched the first of 2 planned e-commerce platforms. She’s Got A Habit is a wellness, lifestyle and retail site all inspired by world travel. Shopshesgotahabit.com
Be sure to check out their site! https://www.thisisleaving.com/
Thank you both so much for taking time out!